Sunday, December 14, 2008

I identify as African-American

Obama - Black-American, Mixed-American, African-American, American?

Debate over whether to call this son of a white Kansan and a black Kenyan biracial, African-American, mixed-race, half-and-half, multiracial -- or, in Obama's own words, a "mutt" -- has reached a crescendo since Obama's election shattered assumptions about race.

Obama has said, "I identify as African-American -- that's how I'm treated and that's how I'm viewed. I'm proud of it." In other words, the world gave Obama no choice but to be black, and he was happy to oblige. READ ALL ...

[As the leader and President of the United States of America, one would hope that Obama identifies primarily and foremost - not as an African-American or Mixed-American or "Mutt-American", etc. - but as an "American."]


'African-American' Becomes a Term for Debate
Abdulaziz Kamus, an Ethiopian-born American citizen, said blacks whose ancestors were slaves did not see him as African-American.

"I said, 'But I am African and I am an American citizen; am I not African-American?' " said Mr. Kamus, who is an advocate for African immigrants here, recalling his sense of bewilderment. "They said 'No, no, no, not you.' "

"The census is claiming me as an African-American," said Mr. Kamus, 47, who has lived in this country for 20 years. "If I walk down the streets, white people see me as an African-American. Yet African-Americans are saying, 'You are not one of us.' So I ask myself, in this country, how do I define myself?" READ ALL ...

Is Obama Black, White, Both or Neither?
African vs. African-American
African-American vs Black American

See Also: Black First, American Second

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin